Monday, October 13, 2008

Song No. 9 - Pumpkin Pie

Maybe it was all the tryptophan in the turkey from last night's dinner...but I felt really uninspired to write a song today. Its true. I had nothing ready, and I didn't really want to do it. There was some trashy Lindsay Lohan movie on TV I was half watching, and I had to do laundry, and I just wanted to eat nachos, and there was cleaning to do blah blah blah. So I plopped myself down in front of the computer intent on rehashing some old chords I had kicking around into some sort of instrumental number. Cheating...I KNOW!

But I started jamming out some chords just to see if I could come up with anything. After about 5 minutes I had the verses of the song down. Again, I decided to not to stress, and just keep it simple stupid.

Now...what to write about. Well how about being hung over the day after your birthday? Yeah? Yeah! Honest. So the words came very easily...the event still being very fresh in my mind (ie. Saturday morning). Whenever I was stuck for words I just thought "Well...what happened next on Saturday?"

Upon listen back to the song with just vocals, harmonica, and acoustic guitar I decided to add one more minor guitar track. You'll hear it in your right speaker. Just a simple one chord strum. It emphasizes the important notes, and the transitions. Short of having a band at my disposal it finishes off this simple recording of this song very nicely. Another production note - the new (birthday) harmonica...obviously had a positive influence on the sound of the song. And the new (birthday) guitar sounds fantastic. Just wonderful instruments to record and write with and I'm grateful to have them.

This week's song is called:

Pumpkin Pie

Let me know what you think.

No comments: