Monday, October 6, 2008

Song No. 8 - Just Don't Leave Me OK?

Well that turned out alright!

I was feeling like last week's song got really bloated. Too much thought, too much time, too serious. Ugh. Confused, and complicated and it sounded that way.

This week's goal was - simple, don't think too much and have fun with it. I began the writing process with the most fun instrument I can think of...the Ukelele. Actually I had some of the lyrics and a concept in my head before I even picked up the Uke. I wanted it to have a classic, 50s sort of vibe. Kind of like The Platters.

So I started plucking away at these fun sort of chords on the Uke...and then something very interesting happened. I found a really dark nasty chord progression too. I didn't quite have all the correct notes down the first time I played through them, but it sparked an idea in my head that became the real exciting interesting element in the song. The song changed from a simple love song to a quirky, desperate look at love and insecurity.

The simplicity of the song gave me more freedom to be creative in arranging the rest of the elements of the song. Imagine that. SIMPLE. It's good. So I had all sorts of freedom to add extra instruments, harmony vocals, practice all my parts (I can't see how that would have had a positive impact on the song.....). Overall, I was much more confident in the song. I knew it. I understood what to say and how.

That was the real achievement for me. The song that came to be was very close to the one in my head.

Dig It!

The song is called:

Just Don't Leave Me OK?


Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Lester Alfonso said...

brilliant, inspiring, thank you...can't wait for more.